I just got back from Japan (again) last week. My friend Hideaki told me that I seemed "more Japanese" this time. I took this as a great compliment, although it might have just been lip service. Then again, darn it, I was a little more Japanese. For one thing, I ate faster with chopsticks. For another, I could read the phonetic writing systems (there are two) -- albeit at a pace and reliability that would be pathetic for a 5 year-old. But I think what Hideaki really meant was that I could hold my liquor a little better, particularly when that liquor happens to be sake or shouchuu.
Shouchuu is an evil, evil drink. It is most likely Korean, but I think a lot of Japanese claim it as their own. It's pretty similar to a very easy-to-drink vodka, and it's about 50 proof. That's all fine and dandy until you factor in one thing: It comes in a beer stein. Ironically, Japanese beer is usually poured into very small glasses (though often from a very large bottle). Why? You'd have to be Japanese to understand.
Anyway, here's what shouchuu (+ sake + beer) did to me on the November trip. That's my esteemed boss (seriously, he's pretty esteemed) waving to the camera as if to say, "Come back when your liver's up to the task, America-jin." Hideaki, left, is clearly concerned for my well-being.
Well, I did come back. Never mind the fact that I had a few hours advantage in the sleep department. If my coworkers are counting it as a victory, so am I.
No comments:
Post a Comment