10 April 2009

Mom's Cheesy Rice recipe

By popular demand, I give you "Mom's Cheesy Rice." Thanks, Mom.

"Here's the "secret" Cheesy Rice recipe.  Actually, it is from The California Heritage Cookbook published by the Junior League of Pasadena.  They call it "Chile Rice Casserole".
Serves 8
2 1/2 c. water
1 c. raw rice
2 c. sour cream
Salt to taste
1/2 lb. Monterey Jack cheese, grated
7 oz. diced green chiles
3 T. butter or margarine
1/4 c. grated Parmesan cheese (more if desired) 
In the book, they heat the water first then add the rice and layer the rice, cheese chiles to bake. Here's how I make it.


In a medium-sized saucepan add the rice to the water, cover and bring to a boil then turn down the heat, and simmer over low until the liquid is absorbed, approximately 20-25 minutes.  I let the rice cool a bit.  Spray a 9"x13" pan with PAM.  Dump the cooked rice with the sour cream, salt, cheese and chiles all together and mix.  I spread it out evenly in the pan and top with the Parmesan cheese. If you really like green chiles you can add more.  This time I left out the butter by mistake and it was still good.
Bake uncovered in a preheated 350 degree oven for 30 minutes.
For the party I tripled the recipe for each large pan and it cooked longer then usual, but it seemed okay.
I hope you enjoy this and whenever you have it you remember Bridget and Nick's wedding celebration in New Orleans.

-Judy

No comments:

Post a Comment