03 November 2008

Some thoughts on bullet trains.

But first, let me apologize for the lack of photos. My "real" camera is quasi-dead, with some new malfunction popping up daily. I've switched to the camera phone as of late, but the picture quality leaves much to be desired. Anyway, in either case, I managed to forget a USB cable, so I can't unload any photos until I get home. (Yes, I'm too cheap to buy one here. I've got, like, a bagillion already at home and in the lab.)

What was I?... Oh yeah, trains.

For years I've thought that a cool band name would be Means of Conveyance. My friend Aaron tried to trump me by naming one of his songs, "Call me old-fashioned, but I think trains are kick-ass." However, the lyrics went something like, "Whaaa! Braaahck! Aaargh!," so I think his commitment to mass transit is dubious. As for me, I'm a certified transitophile. I love riding the bus in Boulder. As much as I complain about it, I love being on planes. And the mere thought of a too-crowded San Francisco street car makes me misty-eyed.

For someone like me, then, Japan is a wonderland. From the subways to the buses to the monorails, it's all fantastic. But simply stated, nothing can compare to the singular joy of riding the shinkansen bullet trains.

There's nothing like zipping through cities at building level at well over 100 mph. Actually, it's got to be at least around 150 mph at top speed, because I went from Hiroshima to Tokyo in only 4 hrs (894 km, a.k.a. about 555 miles). That's with stops. I've taken the shinkansen three times now (Hiroshima to Osaka and back, plus Hiroshima to Tokyo), and most of the traveling has been at night. While I'd like to come back and make a trip during the day, the nighttime train rides are OK by me. The countryside would be hard-pressed to top the city lights.

The train is really smooth and quiet. Once in a while you pick up some shakes, and when another bullet train passes going the other way, you definitely hear it. But you only notice these disturbances because your environment is otherwise so peaceful. On a normal train, shinkansen-size vibrations wouldn't even register above all the other shaking going on.

On top of that, your seat is really nice with tons of legroom, especially if you've paid extra to get a reserved seat. (If you don't reserve a seat, that's OK, but you may find yourself standing in the non-reserved section, or be compelled to sit with the smokers. This, in fact, happened to me on my way back to Hiroshima.)

From what I've observed, there's no bar or restaurant car (although maybe there is if you purchase the so-called "Green Ticket"), but stewardesses push snack carts through the aisle. When they reach the door to pass through to the next car, they turn and bow to the car they are leaving before the door automatically shuts. It's something I can't get enough of.

(P.S. -- While no one's said anything, I can tell I'm a terrible bow-er. Sometimes I mindlessly still try to shake hands, which is even worse. Usually it ends up with you feeling like you're molesting them. Lesson: Only shake a Japanese person's hand if they make the gesture.)

For a while I was trying to come up with the perfect shinkansen soundtrack, but I've decided it's hopeless. Every music is the perfect music when you're riding a bullet train. Sure, I've got some preferences, but my guess is that I could even tolerate The Macarena on a bullet train. Just pass the Sapporo, please.

Oh, and happy birthday, Bridget. Love you!

1 comment:

  1. You are going to receive so much harassment from me for buying an iPod Touch. What happened to all your Apple hate? :-)

    Glad you'll be back soon. Have a safe trip tomorrow. Don't forget, Polysics on 11/11/08.

    -Jason

    ReplyDelete